As a homeowner in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, you may be considering solar power as an option for your home. Solar panels are a great way to save on your energy bill and reduce your carbon footprint. Read on to learn more about 8 useful tips for maintaining your rooftop solar system.
Homeowners across the U.S. have turned to rooftop solar panels to generate renewable energy for their homes while supporting the environment. In Texas, 161,000+ solar systems have been installed, which is enough to power over 1.6 million homes.
Solar panels are often lauded for their low maintenance needs. In contrast to traditional forms of energy generation, solar panels do not require regular fueling or complex repair work. Instead, they rely on the power of the sun to generate electricity. This means that once solar panels are installed, they can operate for years with little-to-no intervention.
If you are one of the many Texans who have already taken the leap to invest in the future of sustainability, here are eight helpful tips for maintaining your rooftop solar panel system.
- Keep your panels clean – Dust, dirt, and other debris can build up on your solar panels, reducing their efficiency. Regularly cleaning your panels will help ensure they're operating at peak performance.
- Monitor your system regularly – It's important to keep an eye on how your system is performing. Check the inverter and monitoring equipment regularly to make sure everything is operating optimally.
- Get professional maintenance – While you can do some basic maintenance tasks yourself, it's always a good idea to have a professional check your system periodically to ensure everything is in good working order.
- Check for damage – Inspect your system regularly for any damage that may arise. If you notice anything, contact a professional for repairs to avoid further damage from occurring.
- Be aware of shading – Shade can significantly reduce the output of your system, so it's important to keep an eye on any trees or other obstacles that could cast a shadow on your panels.
- Watch the weather – Extreme weather conditions can impact your system's performance, so it's important to be aware of forecasted conditions and take steps to protect your system if necessary.
- Store batteries properly – If you have a backup battery system, make sure it's stored in a cool, dry place and regularly maintained according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Follow all safety guidelines – When working on or around your system, always follow all safety guidelines to avoid injuries.
Solar panel use is on the rise in Texas, and with good reason. Not only does solar energy help reduce our reliance on fossil fuels, but it also helps us save money on our electric bills. By following these simple tips for maintaining your solar panels, you can ensure that your system works at its best and generates the most electricity possible. Have you gone solar? What tips would you add to this list?
Your Expert Solar Installer
With more than 30,000 solar panels installed to date, DFW Solar Electric has the experience and professionalism to provide homeowners in Texas with the best, most efficient possible solar power system. We use only products from reputable and time-trusted suppliers, and our installations are guaranteed to last with industry-standard maintenance. While there are many solar installers to choose from, selecting one who knows the area and already has a proven track record of excellence can simplify the process and ensure the best returns on investment.
If you know someone thinking about switching to solar, tell them to contact DFW Solar Electric today to learn more at 972-827-7651. We’d be happy to answer any of their questions and help them get started on their journey to renewable energy.