If you're lucky enough to have solar panels in Texas, you know they can greatly help offset your energy usage. When Summer comes around, and temperatures soar into the 100s, homeowners may be concerned about the effect of high heat on their solar system. Read on to learn more about owning a solar system in the Summer.
To many people's surprise, heat doesn't impact solar panels nearly as much as sunlight since that is what is actually being captured and converted into usable energy.
Solar panels in Texas are an excellent investment, despite the heat. On average, a temperature increase of 50 degrees Fahrenheit will result in a power decrease of about 0.5%. In other words, if your solar panels output 1 kilowatt (kW) of power on a cool day, they may only output 950 watts on a hot day. But this is still an impressive amount of energy! And, as we all know, the sun shines much brighter and longer in Texas during the Summer months than it does in the Winter. So, while there may be a slight drop in efficiency due to heat, you can rest assured that your solar system is still working hard to offset your energy usage and save you money.
With the right contractor, you can be sure that your system will withstand the high temperatures and continue to provide you with clean energy all Summer long. While extreme temperatures can potentially decrease the efficiency of a system, the materials that make up the system are designed to withstand most typical weather concerns. Many factors may play into the exact temperature of your solar panels, such as air temperature, geographic location, level of direct sunlight, and roofing material. An experienced solar contractor understands all of these factors, the traditional weather and climate of the area your home is located in, and how to select and install solar panels to minimize any effects of heat on solar panel efficiency.
As the summer heat rolls in, it's time to start thinking about how to make your home more efficient. And one of the best ways to do that is to switch to solar power. Here are some of the key reasons why homeowners should switch to solar power this Summer:
- Solar power is cheaper than traditional forms of energy. When energy costs soar in the hot Texas Summer months, homeowners utilizing solar power can cut down on their electric bill.
- Solar power is a renewable resource, so it's better for the environment. With dozens of energy resources available, why not select one that is proven to be both effective and sustainable?
- Solar installations come with quite a few financial incentives at the federal and state level, making the financial investment more than worth it.
With more than 30,000 solar panels installed to date, DFW Solar Electric has the experience and professionalism to provide your home with the best, most efficient possible solar power system. We use only products from reputable and time-trusted suppliers, and our installations are guaranteed to last with industry-standard maintenance.
Our solar experts can help determine if you’re a good candidate by providing a complete diagnostic of your home’s solar readiness, including:
- Roof analysis – Some roofs may require repairs or structural strengthening before they’re ready for a solar installation.
- Sunlight angle analysis – Does your roof experience excessive shade or awkward sunlight angles that may lead to inefficient solar panels? Is there enough flat space to make panels a viable and efficient option?
- Legal analysis– Does your city, county, or homeowner’s association restrict the use of solar panels on your property? DFW Solar Electric can often work with these entities to reach a resolution that makes your solar installation possible.